Sunday, March 21, 2010

Conversing With a Baby

"Eh!" "Really?  Is that so?"  "Breeehh!"  "Well I'm not sure about that...."  "Huuh buh buh buh"  "Yes, well I know you would like to!"

Do you ever feel like you and your baby have nothing to talk about?  They give you a sound that really just seems to be a sound and you think, "huh...well what do I say to that?"  I always chuckle when I hear babies practicing their talking.  Sometimes they seem so incredibly proud of a new sound or our response to their sound that the awe they experience can be contagious! 

In my classroom, I always encourage parents to be as expressive as possible.  I'm sure they think that I'm maybe a little loony sometimes (my farm animal sounds are pretty amazing...), but it really does make the difference.  Within our expressions, speech, and gestures we are showing them how we (rather you -the parent) interacts with others.  One of my favorite Foundations of Learning focuses on exposing baby to their environment through dancing, singing, etc.  We are teaching them how to react, how to behave (somewhat) with in the unspoken rules of the social environment in which you live.

So I encourage you to talk and sing back.  Give your little one (or ones!) the opportunity to tell you what is on their mind, even if it requires a, "no -that's not your belly button!" or, "what does a doggy say?" and to sing and dance your way into life long learning.

Musically,

Busy B

1 comment:

  1. You have to talk to babies - that's how they learn to talk back ;)

    (visiting from new friend friday.)

    ReplyDelete