Friday, April 9, 2010

Jack Be Nimble, Jack Be Quick

Did you grow up on Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes?  I did, and to this very day I remember more of them than I do some of the more important things a grown up should think about!  I remember how they rhymed, how they sing-songed out of my mouth, and how much fun I had dancing to them.  What is even better is that they are good for Baby's brain! 

I was at the public library this week doing a class called "Music With Mother Goose."  When I picked the topic, I was excited to talk about all of the developmental benefits of a nursery rhyme.  When I arrived at the library to see 15 toddlers and their various grown ups, I was thrilled and excited to see what new educational spin I could create within the structure of a Nursery Rhyme.  So which ones did I pick?  Keep on reading!  These are two of my favorites, and are very good for children of all ages!

First is Jack be nimble, Jack be quick.
This little rhyme is one of my favorites because everyone can take an active role in participation.
Supplies: a stick like object.  I used a Kindermusik rhythm stick, which is appropriate for all ages.  You want to stay away from sharp objects, or ones that are falling apart. 
~Teach the children the rhyme.  This should be easy!  They'll like the sound and the rhythm of it which makes it easy and fun to learn. 
Jack be nimble
Jack be quick
Jack jump over the candle stick




                                                                                                         William Wallace for 1901 Mother Goose

~Have children imagine that the rhythm stick is their candle
~Do activity!  Have them jump, leap, hop, crawl, roll, etc. over the candle stick.
*Make sure you change your pitch and dynamics too -this makes it more fun!

So what does your little one learn from this?  Some of the concepts are...
*They learn about space and where they are
*They gain some language skills: acquisition, meter, style, etc.
*They are using their gross motor skills 


My second choice was Hickory Dickory Dock
~Supplies: None, unless you want to use a book.  That depends on you!
~Teach them the rhyme -again, this is fun and easy!                                        William Wallace for 1901 Mother Goose
Hickory Dickory Dock
The Mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck one
Down the Mouse ran
Hickor Dickory Dock
*You can read them the story first, if you'd like.  The pictures will help with association*
  
~Have children show you their "mouse fingers".  This is their first and second fingers wiggling back and forth.
~Have them mimic the mouse and what a mouse would do.
~After you've explored and played with the concept, have them use their mouse fingers to follow along with the rhyme.

So again -what does this do for your little ones? 
*If they're very small, it explores their small digits (you can use fingers and toes if you'd like!)
*If they're toddlers, you are encouraging the use of imagination!
*You are encouraging the development of fine motor skills

 You can find some really cute coloring pages for this Nursery Rhyme!


 Have I piqued your interest in Mother Goose?  I hope so!  You can find lots of great stuff on the internet as well as your local library.  I'd encourage you to search there and ask a librarian.  They're way up to speed on these things and will be able to point you in the right direction.  Want your own, though?  Try Mary Engelbreit's version found on Amazon.com.
Have a great weekend everyone!  Enjoy the sunshine and Nursery Rhymes!
Musically yours~

No comments:

Post a Comment